Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Eggs for Carrie Mathison

If Carrie Mathison, the flawed anti-Jack Bauer protagonist of Homeland wandered into my home, we would eat Shakshouka together while I broke the news that she was right about Brody. As far as I know, the CIA hasn't yet dispatched Carrie to North Africa, where this dish originates, but hey, I just learned that Julia Child once served as an officer in the OSS (predecessor to the CIA). 
Shakshouka, or poached eggs in peppery tomato sauce, is one spin on a global phenomenon that includes huevos rancheros (Mexico) and menemen (Turkey). This version is my favorite. Its heat and bold flavors suit Carrie's wide-eyed intensity. Savor it family-style, with bread to mop up oils and juices. Will Carrie ever be redeemed? 

Shakshouka Recipe

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a homemade shakshouka, which by the way should be really spicy (hot). Is this Israeli food week? Shakshouka and pita? I should make this for breakfast next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! It's so easy. I guess it was Israeli food week! Xo

    ReplyDelete