Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Election 2012 in Sandwiches

The Romney/Ryan Sandwich

PB&J, crusts removed for the fussy, childish, and wasteful.
On "wheat bread." Claims to be wholesome but in fact processed, tasteless, and unhealthy.
What is jelly? Contains no real fruit.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich conceived prior to 1940. 
Does not mix well with other foods or flavors.
Tiresome; provincial.


The Obama/Biden Sandwich

Pâté, tomato-onion chutney, greens, and hot mustard on baguette seeks balance of different flavors. 
Engaged with the present; reflects current food trends.
Not fearful of innovation, change, or global influences.
Comfortable with messy, complex realities; chutney and mustard will drip down from sandwich.
Good for women. Iron-rich liver pâté lowers anemia risk.



7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I think more people would opt for pb&j...if only they would try the pâté and mustard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mcarter, do you think race might be a factor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my sandwich preference hasn't caught up with my political sophistication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could we at least consider the PBJ "vintage"? You know, for those of us that are forward thinking but not a fan of pate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, first, hahaha, this is quite brilliant. And now I am all hungry. But, it occurs to me that in only offering two sandwiches, you are reaffirming our broken, 2 sandwich system. While I don't like menus that are so big that it is impossible to make a choice (I'm talking to you, Cheesecake factory), a few options means I can find something more to my taste. What if, apropos of no one, one isn't a fan of pate? So, we need a Gary Johnson sandwich, a Rocky Anderson one, and a Jill Stein one. Now, I'm not sure I would want a Gary Johnson sandwich -- too worried about e. coli or salmonella or the like. But a Jill Stein might be more sustainable, and better for the digestion. What might these other sandwiches be? Can we even imagine a multi-sandwich world? It might be too much to ask. In n Out, here I come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Gradgrind. I'm afraid it's difficult for me to imagine the day when three or four-item menus are available (let alone Cheesecake Factory...). How different the world of sandwiches would look. When I think Jill Stein, something healthy, delicious, sustainable comes to mind. Perhaps nori-wrapped glazed salmon and sesame kale? What do you think?

      Delete
    2. Hah. I think sustainability is obviously the central ethos of the Jill Stein. As I look at my Seafood Watch app, I see that I am limited in my salmon choices. So the Jill Stein would have a more specified salmon. I would modify your delicious suggestion as follows: Nori-wrapped glazed Alaskan wild caught Salmon, with sauteed mushrooms, ginger, shredded carrots, and a side salad of locally grown, organic produce (though not kale, which is too bitter for my taste.) Maybe noodles? Dang, now I am all hungry. :)

      Delete